Thursday, May 21, 2009

Figuring it out

I have a dilemma. So I've talked about my job situation here a bit - the fact that I've had trouble finding anything since we've come home from overseas and how that has been really tough on my ego and self-esteem. So I've been pretty much continually looking and sending my resume around for the past five months or so, but in the mean time thinking about doing other things. This of course led me to exploring the whole Registered Dietician thing. 

So here's the deal: I applied to a local school, was accepted into their nutrition program and signed up for a nutrition class that starts next week. I decided I'd take the one class just to see if I liked it - just to get a feel and really see what it's like to be back in the classroom (well the online classroom anyway) and to see if I really like the subject matter. I mean I know I like reading food and nutrition and weight loss and fitness blogs and what not, but I don't know if or how that might actually translate into a career. And I don't know if I want to spend a ton of money and time trying to find out. 

So fine, I was going to take this class, and just see. But now I had this interview this week, and it went pretty well, and I'm actually pretty excited about it, and I have a second interview next Thursday. And even though I'm interested in the nutrition thing, and I probably still have a long way to go before I find out if I get this job or not, I've started worrying. Worrying about my ability to take a class and start a new job. Worrying about the money it's going to cost us for me to even take this ONE class, let alone more. Worrying about whether or not it would be a mistake to completely abandon a career that I've worked hard for and spent a lot of time and effort on. And that frankly, I still enjoy and get excited about for the most part. I mean I'll never be like my dental hygienist friend who absolutely LOVES going to work but I don't think I'd be like that with any job. 

Anyway, the point is, tuition is due tomorrow and I don't know what to do. I'm thinking about deferring the class until the fall, so that way I can at least see what happens with this job, but what if I don't get it and I end up wishing I would have taken the class? But what if I do get it and I've spent a lot of money to take this class that I'm not going to be able to focus on completely? 

I don't know. Part of me just wants something - anything - to help me feel productive and like I'm learning. But I don't want to waste money just to feel that way. Ugh. If only I knew what was going to happen with this job. I just don't know if I can handle another rejection right now. 


K said...

I don't know what you should do, but I feel for you - I am waiting to hear about a job interview myself and the waiting is awful!

I think if it was me, I'd be ringing the college to explain the situation and ask if I could audit the first class and pay the tuition after that. I'm sure they've come across similar situations before.

If they say no... I think I would take the class. Yes, maybe you won't be able to devote as much time and brain to it if you're working as well, but that juxtaposition might help you make up your mind about whether you want to go for this.

I've been working and studying simultaneously since September 2006. I won't pretend it is always fun, but it can be done!

Jess said...

Argh. What a pain in the ass. I agree that the first thing to do is call the school and see if you can work something out with them. If not, I think it comes down to whether you COULD do the class and the job simultaneously without wanting to kill yourself, even if it would be less than ideal, or whether it would be less frustrating for you to wait and take the class next semester if this job doesn't work out.

Good luck! Fingers crossed!