Thursday, December 29, 2005

Salad for Breakfast

So. Christmas. My Birthday. Another Christmas. And another Christmas. And I ate pretty much nonstop. It's funny, I went to the trainer last Thursday, and he took my measurements and my bodyfat percentage. Let's just say it wasn't good. I knew it was going to be bad, but it still hurt to see those numbers. He estimated my body fat based on my scale weight and the measurements of my legs, arms, waist, neck, etc... He had a little book he used. I don't know how accurate the book is, but he estimates I'm between 38-40% body fat. Ouch. The good news is, we're working to get that off.

Anyway back to Christmas. So I had my session with the trainer on Thursday night, worked my ass off and got nice and sweaty, then got in the car to drive to Texas. We stopped for a sandwich for dinner on Thursday night, so all was good. On the road on Friday, I started the day with an Egg and Cheese biscuit from McDonald's. Blech. I never eat there. I'm morally against eating there. But guess what, eating there was my only option. Or at least that's what I told myself. Of course I could have eaten something else. And that pretty much started my week of gluttony.

There was pie, there was chocolate, chips and queso, a cheese ball, banana bread, biscuits, chocolate, chicken strips, bean burritos, and more chocolate. It wasn't pretty. And as you might imagine, the scale is showing it. But I'm back now I've had Christmas with both sides of the family and the boy's family, eaten my birthday dinner at my favorite restaurant, and I'm ready to get hardcore.

I saw the trainer tonight, and he has a plan to get me in fighting shape. Last week I brought him a detailed food journal so he could review my eating habits, and he has some suggestions. Apparently I'm doing okay on veggies, but not as good as I should be. Duh. And I snack too much in the afternoon. Duh. And I don't get enough protein. Duh. All things I knew he would say. But still its good to hear a third party say it.

So here's the plan going forward: I've got to do my weight training three times a week (including one session with the trainer). Cardio twice a week on top of that, after the weights or on a different day alone. As far as the food goes, I'll be sticking to the no sugar and no sugar substitute thing. In addition, I have to have a large salad for breakfast along with a protein shake every morning. Salad! A Salad!

The salad should have two different types of leafy greens, I'm thinking romaine and spinach. It also has to have four different types of vegetables. I'm having trouble thinking of four that I'm really going to like, especially for breakfast, but I'm going to do my best. I'm thinking cucumber, carrots, zucchini, and something else. But what else? Does anyone have any suggestions? Again, not a big fan of the crazy veggies, and I know its going to be especially difficult first thing in the morning. Maybe broccoli. Or snow peas?

If the trainer thinks it'll be good for me, then I'm going to stick to it. I'm going shopping this weekend for my veggies and protein shakes, and I'll keep you posted on how it goes. In the meantime, I'm going to try to kick some arse on my workouts and not overdo the alcohol on New Year's Eve. I'm also going to post here more often, so I'll see you all soon.

No comments: