Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Dad

So I signed up for the half marathon. After a lot of talking with the boy about my motives and my wants and needs and my freaking innumerable neuroses, I signed up.

I swear to god I am freaking out, but I'm also completely at peace with my decision.

We'll see how it goes when training is starting in June and I'm really freaking out.

So after a fantastic Memorial Day Weekend with too much alcohol, we're getting ready to leave for Austin on Friday to see my dad. My parents divorced when I was six, and I haven't lived in the same state as my father since I was eight. Of course, he was great and made every effort to see my sister and I as much as possible. He did the best he could, which was actually really great, even though he had no idea what he was doing. He made us Frit0s and Ranch dressing for lunch. No wonder I gained some weight, eh?

So now my dad is battling Type II diabetes. He's probably pushing 300 lbs. And while I know my stepmom, who is a nurse, is doing everything she can to help him, I worry about him. So when I go to Austin on Friday, I'm going to do my best to set a good example.

But how do you set a good example for someone who IS your example? My dad taught me everything I know about loving food. Taking pleasure in a meal. Enjoying the process of going out to eat.

I know it's going to be hard, because inevitably I struggle when I'm on vacation, but I'm going to do everything I can to make this a healthy one. I'm going to run on Saturday morning. I'm going to eat cereal for breakfast and choose a salad at lunch. I'm going to eschew dessert most days, even when I really want it.

I'm going to do everything I can, because seeing my dad, at his weight, with his issues, makes me nervous. It makes me nervous not only for him, but for my sister and me as well. So I'm going to do my best, and I'm going to tell him I'm training for the half marathon. I can do this, right? I can set a good example.

2 comments:

Kim said...

YES Jeni, you can set a good example. You are ready for this, and I also really think that you are ready to take on this half marathon! Trust yourself. :)

Jen C. said...

You can...just be yourself! It's YOU who he loves, remember. And sometimes love can be the most powerful motivator of all. :-) I believe in you!