Monday, October 24, 2005

Swimming Along

Literally. I went swimming tonight. Probably the first time in about 6 months I've been swimming. And I can tell you right now my arms are going to be feeling it tomorrow. And my legs. In fact my whole body will be feeling it. I think even my brain will be feeling it.

So my swimming experience:

When I arrived it was fairly crowded, so I had to share a lane with a buff man in a tiny little swimsuit. I smirked to myself and then realized he was probably gaping at the whale who just took over his lane, so then of course I felt bad about the smirk. But those little swimsuits. They're just so. Little. And okay I know I'm not a whale and I should really be practicing positive self talk, but the whale metaphor is just so appropriate with the pool and what not. Anywho, so I get in the pool and realize I have no idea what I should do. There's a workout posted on the whiteboard in the pool area, so I decide to give that a shot.

I start swimming. I'm doing okay, not moving too quickly but definitely getting my heart rate up. Things are going quite well. But swimming is hard people, especially when you haven't done it in a long time. After about 40 minutes I had only made it through half of the workout and by the way my arms and legs were flailing about I decided it was probably time to get out. So I didn't make it through the whole workout (and who knows who that workout was for anyway, it could have been the Olympic swim team for all I know), but at least I tried.

And it feels so good to change up the workout a little, use different muscles and really feel my body working. I think I'll try to swim more often.

So now I'm completely exhausted from my swim, and this coupled with the fact that I've drastically lowered my calories in order to actually lose some weight for once and the fact that I haven't been sleeping well means I'll be going to bed at around 9:00 p.m. tonight. I'm such a party animal.

I haven't been sleeping well the past couple of nights because the boy is out of town and apparently the dogger thinks he needs to be extra vigilant about noises that go bump in the night. The little guy only weighs about 8 lbs and he sleeps in bed with me. So imagine some typical noises happening at 2 in the morning, he races off of the bed and practically breaks his little legs because he's moving so fast in order to go bark his head off at the phantom at the door. This of course freaks me out, because I think well what if there actually is someone at the door?

I can't open the door to check if someone is at the door, because if there is someone at the door he might come in and kill me. I have no peephole to see if someone is at the door, so instead I lay in bed awake, fretting for hours as to whether someone is actually at the door or not. Last night I just sucked it up, got a kitchen knife and the phone, and peeked my head out the door. Of course all I saw was an empty hallway.

So tonight I'm crossing my fingers that there will be no barking at the door. Hopefully I will get some sleep and be refreshed for my Tuesday. I've planned the following meals:

Breakfast
High fiber cereal with fat free milk (4)

Lunch
Turkey sandwich on wheat (5)
banana (2)
Pudding Cup (1)

Snack (if needed)
Granola bar (2)

Dinner
South Beach Diet Frozen Pizza (6)
Ranch Dressing (2)

No comments: