Thursday, February 16, 2006

Sleep

I haven't been getting much of it over the past couple of weeks due to all of the excitement going on in my life. I've always been one of those people that could sleep 9 or 10 hours a night if my life would let me. I don't know if it has to do with being overweight or what, but I just love a really good night's sleep. When I didn't have a job this past summer, I would go to bed around 12:30 and just wake up naturally around 9:30 or 10. It was so great. I felt so good during that time.

Nowadays I probably get about seven hours a night, with maybe 9 or 10 on weekends if I don' t go out. I'm tired a lot, and I think I complain about it a lot. I know I complain about it a lot. I know seven hours probably sounds like enough to some people, but it just isn't for me right now. I have no idea what I'll do when I have a kid (not happening anytime soon mind you). People say you get used to it, but I just can't imagine waking up every 2 hours.

I've read that sleep is essential to weight loss. Your body needs that time to get out all of the toxins and repair muscles and do all of that good stuff. And if you don't get enough sleep, your body can't do its job. So is it possible that I'd be losing more quickly if I was sleeping more? Or is this just wishful thinking and me trying to make excuses? I don't know. I do know that its very unlikely I'll go to bed earlier than 11 on any given work night. Which means I end up with about seven hours.

Is it possible that sleep is the magic ingredient? Would I be happier if I slept more? I'm going to do an experiment next week and find out. I'll try to go to bed by 9:30 every night and see what happens. Wish me luck.

No comments: