Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Shorts

So first let me get this off my chest: I had to wake up at 3:30 this morning for work. And it sucked and I just wanted to whine about it. So whine. Phew, okay done.

I've been doing well - I lost 1.5 lbs again this week, which makes for two weeks in a row of decent losses. THIS is what I need to be doing. I only have like 17 weeks or something until the wedding, so the chances of me getting to goal are pretty much nill. I can still lose a good chunk of weight though, and that's what I intend to do. Yup. Eating is going well, although getting up so early sort of derailed me a bit. I'm still sticking to my allotted calories for the day, but the lack of energy that hit me at about 12:00 and the mini oatmeal chocolate chip cookies sitting in the kitchen at the office were hard to ignore. So I had one, but it was only one and I'm okay with it. I finally came home around 4:30 and crashed hard for a nap, but I woke up ravenous.

Currently I'm sitting here eating one of my new favorite easy dinners - scrambled eggs and spinach wrapped in a low carb tortilla and doused in hot sauce. Not exactly gourmet cooking here, but it makes me happy anyway. I'm skipping out on girl's night tonight because I'm so tired, but I think avoiding all the food and wine that typically go along with girl's night can only be good for me.

So moving on to the real topic at hand: shorts. As you know, I've been overweight for all of my adult life. This means that I have avoided shorts like the plague. I've seen tons of women and men larger than I am wear shorts, but I just never had that confidence. I remember wearing some long baggy shorts in high school when I was a serious punker and probably a size 12, and then I remember one pair of size 14 workout shorts in college, but I rarely ever even wore them to workout. I just hate my knees and my calves and my thighs. Pretty much my legs. I know hate is a strong word and I shouldn't say it, but I just am not happy with the way my legs look and I really haven't ever been. They are short and just look dumpy and stumpy. Not to mention pasty white.

So all of that said, in the past year, I have purchased some cycling shorts, and definitely worn them on my rides. If there is any chance I'll be getting off the bike though, I always bring a pair of pants to put over them so I don't have to walk around with my sausage thighs squeezed in the spandex. So those don't really count.

Now that I've started running and we're experiencing record-breaking heat, it's just silly for me to running down the trial wearing pants or even capris. I mean really, it's silly! So this weekend, even though I'm dreading it, I broke down and purchased a pair of running shorts. When I arrived home this afternoon, they were sitting in the mailbox. I'll admit, when I first opened them, I was terrified. Terrified that they'd be too small, and they'd look ridiculous, and I'd be uncomfortable and would have just spent $30 on fancy running shorts that I'd wear "when I lose weight" like the seven or eight pairs of pants I have in my closet.

But I opened them up, and tried them on, and they actually do fit. They do show my knees, but I guess that's what you have to expect with shorts. They aren't super short though, so I'll be comfortable going out in public. Or at least the workout public. The trail public. I seriously doubt I'll have the balls to wear them to the gym yet, but we'll see. For now, I'm going to wear them on my next run and see how it goes.

So how do you guys feel about shorts? Am I just being neurotic? Are shorts okay?

1 comment:

Lynne said...

I'm with alea, wear them and be proud!
I'll admit that I can't bring myself to wear shorts; I have a hang up about showing my legs. (I live in a place where the temp hits 110 degrees and beyond in the summer and I don't even own a pair.) That being said, I know that this is my own crazy, self-imposed problem. I know no one would ever think twice about what my legs look like. Whenever I see someone out exercising I always think, "Right on. I should probably be out there doing that too." I never think, "She shouldn't be wearing those shorts." So I guarantee that anyone who sees you out and about will most likely just admire your dedication and maybe even be inspired to get out there and work it out too! Whether or not you're wearing shorts will never even cross their mind!