Monday, August 08, 2005

Snore

Snore...

I did another 20 miles today (21.5 actually, but who's counting? Oh yeah ME!), and I think I need a nap. I didn't have my usual peanut butter on a whole wheat English muffin for breakfast, and I waited until noon to leave, and the combination of the heat and lack of good protein in my system made me tired. Very tired. I didn't bonk, but I think I might have been close. I've read a little bit about bonking but I've never done it, at least I don't think I have.

I started out with Frosted Mini Wheat's this morning because I wasn't really planning on going for a long ride, just maybe doing some elliptical or something of that nature. But I felt like riding, so I went. I went the opposite direction of my normal route, and rode down the Platte River Trail for quite a while. I was even considering making today my 30 mile ride, but it started getting incredibly hot and my arms looked like little red sausages, so I turned back. Also there was this man in a red jersey riding behind me for about 7 miles or so, and I started getting paranoid about it.

This is how my paranoid mind works. Instead of thinking, oh this man thinks I'm riding at a good pace and he's just using me to pace himself, I start thinking this: This man is a rapist. He's going to follow me until I get super tired. Then when I pull over for a rest, he's going to make his move and attack me on this random trail and I barely even know where I am. And I'm going to be so tired from this ride, I won't even be able to fight.

What the eff is wrong with me? I pulled over and let the man go by. Turns out he's probably about 150 years old. No wonder he thought I was going at a good pace! I'm so freaking negative sometimes. But the good news is, he sort of inspired me. I mean I hope I'm that old and I'm still riding. Okay he was really 150, but he did have some serious wrinkles going on.

Anyway back to the ride. So I was getting sunburned, so I turned back around at the Overland Golf Course (I think that's the name). Luckily I thought ahead enough to put some sunscreen on, but I didn't think about that little space on my back where my shirt rides up when I'm tucking. So now I have this funny little sunburn line on my lower back. Eh. This is just one more reason why I need a cycling jersey instead of a cheap Old Navy tank top. Oh how I wish. I also really want to move to clipless pedals and shoes, but alas, I lack the funds.

At about 17 miles, I stopped at Confluence Park for a little rest, and seriously considered eating my granola bar. The thought of eating it didn't sound great, and I only had 4.5 miles left, so I decided against it. Bad move. With 2 miles left I was struggling. I pulled over and ate half of the granola bar. I gave the rest to a homeless man looking through the trash. And I pushed through the heat to make it home, but it was definitely a slower ride than it should have been. I"m new to doing these long distances, but I'm pretty sure I need to put some Gatorade or something in one of my water bottles. I think.

I came home, sat on the couch for a while, finally got off of my arse and had a shower and some real food, and now I just want to sleep. But I'm not going to. I'm going to take the dogger for a walk.

I weighed myself this morning and it wasn't pretty and I'm pissy about that. Why am I working out so much and not losing. I need to do a math post like Joy, but I'm too lazy and not good enough at tracking my calories. I feel like I've said this before. I probably have.

No comments: